Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies

Hi friends! Are you having a good weekend?

I sure hope so! :)

I want to share with you another one of my hair brained ideas ;) But first, an apology...

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten you! There has been much sickness at my little nest these past few weeks, and I was right in the middle of a huge painting project that I had to finish last week, sick or not...anyway, not to bore you or anything, but this week I just kind of crashed! But I am getting back into the swing of things, and plan on doing some serious catching up! I have truly missed visiting you. :)

Well now...I have been thinking it would be fun to do a "cookie/candy recipe a day" for the next twelve days. You know, kind of like the "Twelve Days of Christmas"?

And here is a question for you: would any of you be interested in participating in a "virtual cookie swap" this next week? We are considering doing a one time linky party here at {Beautiful Nest}, where everyone could link up their posts showing their favorite recipes for cookies and candies, even pies and cakes! This is the season for baking, and I know I can't be the only one who is always looking for another good recipe! :) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

SO...

The first up:

Peanut Brittle


I found this recipe last year at Joy of Baking (joyofbaking.com) and it has become a family favorite that now must be made every Christmas! :)

{Ingredients}

1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
1 cup light corn syrup
2 cups white granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups raw peanuts


Lightly butter two cookie sheets. Set aside.

In a small cup or bowl, place the baking soda, vanilla extract, and butter (with the butter on top). Set aside.

In a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat, bring the water, corn syrup, sugar, salt, and peanuts to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. (I used a plastic spatula, and it worked fine, though!) Cover the pan with a lid for about one minute to allow the sides of the pan to wash themselves down and dissolve any sugar crystals. Remove lid after one minute. Then clamp a candy thermometer to the side of the pan, making sure it does not touch the bottom of the pan and, stirring occasionally to prevent the peanuts from sticking to the bottom of the pan, cook until the candy thermometer reaches 296 degrees F (147 degrees C).

Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda, vanilla extract, and butter (the brittle will puff up) stirring for about 30 seconds. Immediately pour half the brittle onto each of the two buttered cookie sheets. If you want a thin brittle, then while the brittle is still very hot, use gloved hands to stretch the brittle until you get the brittle to how thin you want it. Do this by gently pulling the edges of the brittle, working your way around the entire mass. Let the brittle completely cool and then break into pieces. Store in an airtight container or a plastic freezer bag as this will prevent the brittle from becoming sticky and breaking down. Store at room temperature for up to two weeks.

{Makes about 2 pounds.}

I hope you all have a good night! I will be back on Sunday with the Third Candle of Advent, and, if all goes well, a fun new ornament idea I have been working on! :)

Blessings,

Jenni

4 comments:

Erin said...

Hello Jenni, hope all is on the mend, and I have a recipe that is really good, rich, but good, so I will be happy to share:) And the peanut brittle was a staple at Christmas time at Grandma's house!!!

Camasthecat said...

Those are SO munchy! (and Crunchy!)

Robin Beck said...

Hi Jenni,
Yes, I would share a recipe if you all decided to do the linky thing.
I'm still working on the guest blog deal for your blog. I will send you the html as soon as I am finished. THANK YOU for guest blogging on my blog! I just love that post and could look at it all day long-The birds are precious!
Hope you had a lovely weekend!
Robin~♥

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! My Dad makes peanut brittle every year! I hope y'all are feeling better!